View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
larsdangly

Default Re: IQ gain and free talents?

I consider the new, Legacy Edition, version of the XP rules to be a feature rather than a problem, but it is certainly true that lots of people feel cheated of the talent points they expected to be given for IQ increases.

To me, the new RAW just define the relative costs of things you value (various stats and talents) and can't be considered 'fair' or 'unfair'; if you don't like a cost, then don't pay it and use your XP on something you consider cheaper. If something seems expensive (in XP) but worth it to you, then pay the cost and get the thing you want.

Viewed this way, the various house rules floating around on this point are just good, old fashioned grade inflation — something with a long and storied tradition in roleplaying games. I've never seen a game that didn't impose restrictions and 'value propositions' with its experience and advancement system, and I've never seen a community of players that didn't chafe against those rules and try to think of ways to relax them. There can't really be a 'good' or 'bad' response to this sort of issue; you have to decide for yourself how much grade inflation you want your table to use, recognizing that the more you move in this direction the further away you get from other groups and official produced materials.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote