View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Pbuckley

Default About Xenohealing

I am curious about something that has been bothering me for quite some time now. The healing advantage is already a 30 Point Advantage, then if you want to heal anything that is not human (Or "Humanoid" in the case of Fantasy settings) you have to pay extra points.

Now there could be two reasons for this, either it could be for game balance, after all healing is quite a potent power, and can run the risk of trivializing potential dangers. However I feel like the cumulative -3 per use a day, solves that problem pretty solidly, and it's not like not having Xenohealing is going to keep you from healing 90% of player character. So I feel like it has to be based on the latter.

Which is that some advantages are priced differently based on how rare they would be. The problem I see with this logic, is that I cannot conceive of many healing powers which would narrow your capabilities in such a manner. I mean I can easily see needing to take an enhancement for say Anything Animate, or Anything Alive. Heck I could even see Anything Animate being at the +100% modifier it's currently at. I could even be able to see All Carbon Based Life, even if I feel like it's a bit of a stretch. Yet in my experience, I find myself always applying Faith Healing, or All Earthly Life to Healing, every time I make a Healing Power either as a player, or as a GM when making pre-made Spells/Powers, I often even heavily suggest it to players whene they make their own Spells/Powers, as it seems absurd for such a power not to have this modifier.

Like I can understand taking penalties for using healing on non-humans, and non mammals, due to the creature physiological makeup, but not being able to heal them at all, just does not make sense to me. Sure, I am more than willing to grit my teeth and put up with this as a player, but it feels scummy doing this to players as a GM simply because it does not seem to make sense to me.

I guess what I am asking is, does anyone know WHY this decision was made? How much would it break the game to alter Xenohealing, so All Earthly Life is standard, while Only Same Family, and Only Same Species are limitations? Could anyone make suggestions on how this ought to effect the prices overall?

This is how I think healing might change at my table in the near future...

Base Healing
• By Default, Healing functions on all Earthly Animal Life.

Enhancements:
• Xenohealing (All Earthly Life), +20%
• Xenohealing (All Carbon-Based Life), +40%
• Xenohealing (Anything Alive), +60%
• Xenohealing (Anything Animate), +100%
• Xenohealing (Heal/Mend Anything), +150%

Feature:
• Plant Life Only
• Mend Objects

Limitations
• Accessibility (Only One Family), -20%
• Accessibility (Only One Species), -40%

Last edited by Pbuckley; 08-23-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote