View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingv View Post
Does the ethical boundaries rely on the perception of the user of the power, or some other standard?
The user's interpretation of the Hippocratic Oath, which ought to include the Nuremberg Code in settings where that has been formulated (the campaign this was created for is a couple of years prior to that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think I have to disagree with that. As an atheist since early childhood, I would call a process that turned me into a Christian, Muslim, or Hindu and that transcended the normal process of reasoned argument "brainwashing." More generally, I'm opposed to ethical indoctrination that bypasses informed consent, which the process you describe seems to do.
See above. I've also been an atheist since I was capable of forming an opinion on it, but I tried to pack too much into "culturally-specific" and over-simplified: giving someone who already professes a religion an SoD to it in exchange for, e.g., a harmful Compulsive Behaviour, with informed consent, is plausibly ethical. Converting someone without their consent definitely is not.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote