View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
Rupert

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionspelunker View Post
So I'm relatively new to playing gurps, i've played in one campaign that got canceled due to covid and i've made some races and such in my spare time which ive been told were pretty well done. My question is if im going to try and run a one shot and make a bunch of monsters should i stat each and everyone out like a character or should i just give it abilities as i desire from outside the rules of the book? I'm specifically thinking of making a hydra with multiple heads growing back each time one is cut off but i dont know how much i should worry about all the nitty gritty stuff or how i should do it if i wanted to run a longer form campaign with a variety of weird and wacky creatures. Thanks for any assistance
For things like a hydra growing its heads back, I wouldn't bother writing that up using the powers and stuff from the books. Just describe how it works in basic game mechanics (e.g. it's head will grow back unless one or more points of burning damage is applied within three turns of the head having been cut off), including any effects having some heads missing might have on its ability to see all round it (with lots of heads it should be able to see 360-degrees, so one if its gimmicks would be that you can't get the bonuses for flank or rear attacks until most of the heads are gone) and so on. It's not a player character, so a 'book legal' writeup isn't important and the point value certainly isn't.

Also, only write up the stuff that matters - if the hydra is just a monster to be fought, most social skills and stats don't matter so leave them out.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote