View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Lo5R: Clans Phoenix and Dragon iconic classes

I'm a yin/yang Dragon and Phoenix fan. So how could I resist when I heard that Legend of the Five Rings had Clans Dragon and Phoenix?

I haven't seen any of the original systems' writeups of the iconic classes (Dragon two-sword, Dragon tattooed monk, Phoenix void shujenga, and to go a bit beyond, Crane quick-draw master, Crane courtier, Lion war leader, Unicorn horseman, Mantis bowman...).

I've seen some of these started up in D&D 3.XE, but as is usual for D&D (and this is not a criticism, D&D is fine for its genre, but I happen to like GURPS), there's not much detail on styles.

Looking at Martial Arts, are there styles for a Dragon two-sword master, a Phoenix void sense sword master (which, as far as I can tell, is an action without thinking style, but I very well could be mistaken), a Crane Iaijutsu (quick draw master), a Dragon tattooed monk (which probably probably include chi and Powers-based tattoos)? I know even less about the Unicorn horseman and the Mantis bowman, and almost nothing about the other great clans and small clans.

As for the Phoenix void shujenga (and the other four elements masters), I'm not sure how they'd work with Magic, Sorcery, or Chinese (whatever it's called) spells. I only have only the vaguest of ideas what spells they have in 3E (I take concepts from 3E, not direct conversions...). Nor am I sure what other clan shujenga do to specialize.

To make a long story stay exceedingly verbose, does anyone have resources on conversions to GURPS, fleshing out the various styles?