View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #56
Varyon

Default Re: Very variant spell magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewings View Post
It’s probably because of a preindustrial worldview and a general attitude of “that’s not how it’s done.” A “proper” magician either creates his tools or receives them as gifts from his teacher or some other individual, perhaps in trade for services (make this for me, I’ll make that for you), they shouldn’t be simply bought and sold like lengths of cloth.
Tradition can indeed be a strong force in cases like this, but you may want to come up with more substantial blocks to the kind of behavior you don't want, such as a Mage's Guild enforcing adherence to tradition. Needing skill 15+ in two skills is a major impediment to those with Magery becoming practicing mages, so you need something else blocking them from using the shortcut of convincing (i.e. paying) a proper mage to take a week or so off work to make an extra wand (or so some enterprising lord doesn't have his battlemages turn to wand production, and outfit everyone with Magery in his army with the ability to lob fireballs and the like).