View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Rupert

Default Re: Damage Resistance and Tech Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
TL10 is rocket-tag gameplay fully realized, and even equipment with 100 DR suffers from the damage it's weapons can output. This is mainly due to Ultra-Tech game design as opposed to inherent lack of value in DR.
Aside from ETC rifles, UT is actually fairly good about this - most rifles do around 6d damage, and the improvement with TL is primarily in penetration. This is still a problem for armour, of course, but at least it means that the pink mist problems aren't too bad - hitting someone unarmoured isn't any worse than with modern guns, and hitting someone armoured isn't a matter of "No penetration = safe, penetration = dead".

As for the OP's issue, I would be cautious lowering the cost of DR bought with points, and certainly wouldn't do it based on something like TL. What I might do is something like My. Rice's idea, and in a given setting offer cheap DR up to a certain threshold, though I'd probably require it's taken with 'Can't Wear Armour' or something like 'Inactive When Under Armour' so wearing armour means you don't get to use your purchased DR.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote