Thread: Teleport Spell
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Celjabba

Default Re: Teleport Spell

The text is copy-pasted from third edition, and in this case, the wording is ambiguous due to the rules changes 3e>4e.
Either:

a)
Spell type is "Special" so the spell description overrule the generic rules.
"Instantly moves the caster to another location." may be interpreted as "casting time : instant" in which case you could act for the rest of the turn on a succesfull body-sense roll.
b)
There is no time to cast listed, so by default, it should be the standart one second concentrate, effect at end of turn.
The body-sense roll is an outdated bit of text no longer pertinent.
c)
There is no time to cast listed, so by default, it should be the standart one second concentrate, effect at end of turn.
You need a body-sense roll to act on your next turn.

I don't know if there has been a Word of Kromm on this subject, and the unnoficial magic errata http://personal.jargon-file.org/Unof...agicErrata.pdf have nothing either.

I would go with (c) at first glance.

Edit : see also the FAQ
4.1.9 Can I still cast spells instantaneously in Fourth Edition?
Except for the normal Blocking spells, no. That can seem unfair, but this balances nicely with the fact that one-second spells are now uninterruptable by anyone who hasn't taken the Wait maneuver.
So (a) is probably not possible.

The Warp advantage allow you to do the instant teleport, body-sense roll and act in one turn with a -10 penalty, so if that strategy is important to you, you could allow it with a -10 penalty to the spell-teleport roll ?

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-18-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote