View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Help me with my "Purple Magery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
If anyone is familiar with Final Fantasy, you will know that Blue Mages have the power to copy enemy abilities, and Red Mages have access to both black and white magic. I have combined the two so that a Purple Mage would be able to copy any spell (or ability, in the form of Partial Shapeshifting), but I feel the way I have it right now is really inefficient, and I want to make sure I can get the most bang for my buck.

Right now, I have it as Wild Talent 1 (Accessibility; External; Focused; Retention). At the moment, once a week (because I'm using in-game time), I can use this Wild Talent to copy an ability and then learn it if I have a free character point. Yay! But... Prerequisites are what is really bogging me down. I want to copy that guy's Fireball, but without the prerequisites, it's no good! That defeats the entire purpose of a Purple Mage. I want to copy these spells.

Any help is welcome, and I will provide more information if it is needed!

Thanks!
Ummm this is how Wild Talent already works, you don't need prereq skills just advantages. Read the whole trait, but this part is especially relevant (which I bolded). That said Consider adding "No Advantage Requirements, +50%" from Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages to your Wild Talent. Then you can copy whatever you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set p. 99
Wild Talent does apply to skills that normally have no default, provided you meet any advantage requirements. For instance, you could cast unknown magic spells provided you had Magery, or use unknown cinematic martial-arts skills provided you have Trained By A Master.
Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote