View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 01:56 AM   #33
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Environmental Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
David, I hope all of our comments and side issues don't put you off your main idea, which I think has a good deal of merit.
My bad as well! David's idea is great. I dove right into speculating about possible mechanics without even mentioning I love his proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yes, and while it could be argued that rolling against some kind of difficulty rating (DC in newer D&D editions) w/ level or skill-based modifiers is a more accurate simulation of task resolution, I wouldn't want to replace TFT's attribute-dependant design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
If I remember correctly, that would make it more like D&D where you have abilities and life levels that increase those abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Perhaps the natural endpoint of this approach is to eliminate attributes completely. Characters would be defined by their talents. It's not really TFT but I suppose it could work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
1e AC is the same idea (i.e. something you have to beat), but presented counter-intuitively IMO since lower numbers represent the harder challenge and therefore required a table to convert 'higher is better' die rolls into a success/fail result.
40 years since I played or even looked at D&D as well, but this serves as an encyclopedic reminder of all the things I really, really hated about that game. I'm a bit mortified the challenge-vs-adjustments table I proposed might come perilously close to moving TFT in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Would attributes contribute modifiers at all? If not, but they were to continue being used as prerequisites for talents, stats would have value but would be less apt to unbalance the game as they reached higher levels.
A table format like the one I was suggesting, with a test roll against a fixed difficulty, would simply have to have additional modifiers for attributes as well or it would undermine the game. At the simplest, in addition to any adjustment to the roll for applicable talents there could be a +1 for every point of DX or IQ above a threshold, like 11 perhaps. (+2 for a relevant talent plus a +2 for IQ 13 equals +4, or something along those lines).

That, or adjustments for talents are only for cases where the attribute you'd roll against might be ambiguous or irrelevant. Or having the talent unlocks the ability to roll against the attribute without a terrible penalty, but then that's pretty much how we do it already.