View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #50
TippetsTX

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So what would be a good guideline for XPs per encounter?

My Firepower ratings?
I think an XP award needs to accommodate both the 'quantitative' and 'qualitative' aspects of encounters. XP also needs to scale up as challenges become more difficult while remaining balanced relative to the 'level' of the character. The old rules did this somewhat by using damage dealt by characters as the basis for a good portion of earned XP (i.e. higher-level foes had more ST and thus would generate more XP), but the new rules abandon this approach to go with more a subjective model.

Your Firepower ratings definitely provide a clear guide for the 'quantitative' element, but they just seem too crunchy for TFT (that's just my own bias, though... I'm actually quite impressed with your FP formula). More importantly, however, they don't address the 'qualitative' side of the equation.

Since I personally find the rate of XP aquisition too slow in the Legacy Edition, the plan for my own games is to use the old method for calculating XP plus a bonus based on the new XP rules thus satisfying both the 'quantitative' and 'qualitative' factors. TBH, I'd like to come up with a better system, but for now I expect this combo approach should work just fine.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 03-02-2019 at 07:05 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote