View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #1714
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Darkhawk, but probably not quite so soon. Meaning, next year/phase/whatever Phantasm is calling it, I'd be happy to see him. Of course, I was a New Warriors fan, at least for a time. Still have a soft spot for them. Wouldn't mind just seeing the New Warriors in general, at least, once the setting is "mature" enough for such a team to make sense.
And this is a problem I've run into several times. There are hundreds of characters who do NOT make sense for Year One, Galactus and the Silver Surfer being among the top contenders. The original New Warriors, excluding Night Thrasher, all had history well before their first appearance as a team, so they're not exactly a "Year One" kind of team the way the FF, X-Men, and even Avengers are.

Quote:
As per usual, I misread/misunderstood something in the thread, and it brings me to a tangent I'd like to inquire about. Maybe it was covered early on and I just spaced off the answer (and failed with my Thread Search inquiries) but... any plans for the "Marvel adjacent" material? See, the first comic character I saw going by "Topaz" wasn't the Earth-616 version, but the Earth-93060 version. Well, sort of, as the character is (I think) extra-dimensional even in the Earth-93060 setting.

For reference:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Topaz_(Earth-93060)

So... yeah, the Ultraverse character named "Topaz", who was acquired along with the rest of the Malibu Comics characters. I neither like nor dislike the character, I just didn't know about actual Topaz from Marvel Comics. Either way, it reminded me how there are a lot of characters from the failed secondary-settings of Marvel Comics who might be worth adding into the lore.

As this is a long thread, please pardon me if this has already been addressed. It just seemed like an idea, especially if someone from the MC2, New Universe, or Ultraverse settings could save you the trouble of designing a new character from scratch to fill a need. And yes, I am worried you're going to tell me this is the third time I've asked this question. XP
If it is a second or third time, it's been a while. :) I can't remember if you have or not.

Regarding various Ultraverse, New Universe, etc. characters and concepts making the jump, there are no current plans to do so. That does not mean, however, that Lukasz/Eden Blake/Mantra or Prime can't or won't cross over; there's just no plans as yet. While I enjoy several of the M2 characters - Spider-Girl, J2, American Dream, etc - they are quite clearly not Year One; they'd be "alternate future" characters at best (although an alternate future character coming to the "past" - our present, their past - isn't out of the question).

You know, come to think of it, I may toss Prime and Elven into the Xavier Institute student body. Something to think about.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-M and N-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote