View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
naloth

Default Re: [Powers/Thaumatology] Rethinking ST-based

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely
[/u]Melee Attack
The Cannot Parry option is now -10%, rather than -5%. New options include Fencing Weapon (+0%), the attack is treated as a Fencing weapon as described on p. 404 of the Basic Set, Unbalanced (-5%), which means that the attack cannot parry on the same turn that it has been used to attack (just like a weapon with the 'U' modifier in its parry rating), and Unready (-5%), which means that the attack becomes unready after being used to attack (just like a weapon with the double-dagger notation on its ST rating). An attack must have either Unbalanced or Cannot Parry in order to take Unready.
Ok, so it's -5% Unbalanced or -10% Cannot Parry. I like that since with Cannot Parry being -5% there's really no room for Unbalanced.

Unready at -5% seems fair too.

It seems that fencing weapons get a number of benefits and relatively few drawbacks. I would call "special weapon rules +5%" and wrap in the option to do fencing weapons, lassos, whips, sais, staves, and other weapons that have a slight perk.

Right now I've been treating lasso/whips as a special case of 1-4 w/Cannot Parry as a 0% explanation, but it comes out the same if you at +5% for the special rules and increase the value of Cannot Parry as a limitation.

Quote:
[b]Limited Use
<snip>
Fast Reload seems to be good enough. Single fire projectiles are about the only thing that need any more of a break and you can take "Takes Extra Time" or shave the time with skills (Fast-Draw). Of course, I wouldn't have an issue with a flat -5% for an extra second or -10% for 2 extra seconds as limitations on a single fire weapon.

Quote:
(Attack modifier) ST-limited (-10%)
This seems overly complicated compared to using Increased/Reduced Range and possibly a "Can be Parried/Blocked" modifier.

Quote:
(Attack modifier) Thrown Weapon (-35%)The attack must be thrown at the target and later recovered; this is essentially a form of Limited Use/1 (Slow Reload). This modifier must be accompanied with appropriate gadget limitations.
I don't like how this is packaged. As a generic modifier it's pretty hampered, though I can see it fitting very specific situations.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote