View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #18
Pursuivant

Default Re: Like we did in practice: Rehearsing bonuses for skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
If you went this way, you'd set planning bonuses up like, say, the Quality Modifiers for Equipment -- a scale from -5, to -2, to 0, to +1, +2, to half Tech Level.
These are great rules ideas. I'm surprised that nothing similar was built into Special Ops/Covert Action, etc. back in the 3E days, and that GURPS 4E High Tech and similarly crunchy books didn't include them.

Maybe there could be a potential supplement for GURPS 4E Social Engineering or Mass Combat which covers things like mission and operational planning, so that characters can do things like build the Pyramid of Cheops or plan Operation Overlord or the Cabanatuan or Song Tay Prison Raids.

My only objection is that I wouldn't make bonuses for planning TL dependent. Many of the factors which guarantee success for a performance or planned special operation depend more on time spent than technology. For example, having a commando team train using an exact replica of the operation site should have the same benefits for a low-tech group as for a high-tech one. Bonuses for Time Spent beyond the minimum required seem like the better mechanic.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote