View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
David Bofinger

Default Re: Priests, clerics and Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Love to hear some feed back on this my 3rd form of rules attempting to bring more "spirit" to Cidri.
My impression is that it's another way to be a wizard. It doesn't seem to be much about being a priest of a particular god, in fact the nature of your deity (are they a sun and fertility god? A necromancy and peace goddess?) seems to have no effect on how the system works. I suppose it could affect your choice of spells.

A wizard can cast all spells and be ready to do it again a few hours later. A priest can do this once a week. The difference could be significant or absolutely huge depending on the nature of the campaign and it's very hard to predict which. The advantage of keeping your hit points doesn't seem a big deal. Getting access to higher IQ spells could be awesome, but you won't get to cast them often. The strong campaign-dependence makes it hard to know if this is balanced, but for most games I think the priests would be pretty weak.

Favour doesn't seem to have much to do with a god's favour. It just regenerates. It doesn't care if you serve the god well, or are pious.

My general feeling is that this isn't about being a priest. You could scrub the words "deity" and "priest" and say it was all based on using chi power or whatever and the system would make just as much sense. In fact the one-week recovery rule might make *more* sense.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote