View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #35
Varyon

Default Re: Blind Teleport into a Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
But the air and water don't need to be destroyed, just pushed aside.
If you come in too quickly, it doesn't have time to be moved aside, and thus must be "destroyed" (whatever that means in this context). Air can accommodate pretty quick movement, probably up to the speed of sound, but trying to get water to move faster than around 60 mph runs into the "cement wall" effect. Assuming each molecule moves in the most efficient route to evacuate the area, a warp that has the character materialize over the course of roughly 0.0005 seconds has enough time for all the air to have moved and formed a human-shaped vacuum for them to inhabit. That's short enough to be a complete non-issue. With water, given the water can't really be moved out of the way faster than 60 mph or so, the minimum safe time is 0.006 seconds, which honestly is probably short enough as well - but if we assume Warp normally uses the 0.0005 second time frame, quite a bit of water will still be around (only ~8% of the necessary safe time has passed) to cause problems. And of course this depends on the water taking the most efficient route - if instead it just shifts away from center of mass, the water traveling down the "leg" will take around 6x as long (although that's still less than 1/20th of a second).

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
If I was doing this, I'd probably figure out whether they can port into water, assume they can do it with air, and then ignore the math - it's mainly a way to explain what happens when you teleport, not something that needs to be held over the player's head.
While working out the math is fun, in practice this is the route I would take as well.