View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #33
Ottriman

Default Re: Blind Teleport into a Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Well, they do have mass, and the amount of mass displaced by a person would be a function of the person's volume and the fluid's density. We can work out the HP involved from that - for air, which is roughly 0.1% the density of a person (approximating a person as around the density of water, which is pretty close), this means a character who weighs 160 lb would displace 0.16 lb of air, which (being diffuse) has an HP of around 4. In water, the character would displace roughly an equal amount of water as his own weight, so 160 lb, which is around 43 HP. This is where timing can come into play. For air, it's diffuse, so it can't really cause much damage in such a "collision" - it should be limited to around 2 HP to both the air and the character. Water is different, in that it doesn't really compress - while at low speeds it's diffuse, if you're going fast enough it's homogenous (the comparison is typically to concrete). If the water can't get out of the way fast enough, the teleportation-collision has to "destroy" it to make room for the character, which would take a minimum of 86 crushing (enough to force a "death check" for that chunk of water) and possibly up to 473 crushing (enough to reduce the water to -10xHP). Either will pulp the human fairly readily.

Of course, that's not the way Warp functions, nor need it be. It is a justification for Warp not allowing you to teleport into a body of water without an appropriate Enhancement, such as Underwater (although I'm not certain if that's actually required by RAW).
But of course, this was just a limitation I had on teleportation in my particular setting.

Also interesting to see you doing object math on air and water, I would have never bothered to do that myself.

And yes Water being deadly to an unprotected human (read: not wearing power armor like most of my PCs do) does make some sense when thought about. Water can be deadly to fall into from great heights, so similar levels of force applied to it would cause quite the recoil.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote