View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
tantric
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy , shared world, recruiting

If my previous transgressions can be forgiven (and I promise to do better), you can put me down from some of the tropical areas. I've quiet a few ideas about neotropical shamanism that won't fit in my current world. A once great culture now fallen to headhunters and cannibals, with a few redoubt cities, perhaps.

By low magic, do you mean that magic doesn't have any serious affect on the way civilizations develop? If you're looking for a disaster, the greedy empire that sucked up all the magic looks like a winner. It would also explain a world where ostentatious displays of magic are taboo. Are you allowing all different kinds of magic - Powers, Magic, Paths, Psionics?

Alternately, a fully developed centralized liturgical nature religion would be very interesting, I think. Nature religions are often seen as simplistic and primitivist, but I like the idea of a society recovering from ecological disaster via a highly organized priesthood that puts the kind of energy into reforestation that most low tech societies put into megastructures (and deforestation). If I could include ravenous mutant animals as devil-analogs, so much the better, but I have no interest in transplanting any of my developed worlds into this. Druids with slaves that die by the thousands creating wetlands instead of building pyramids. Maybe a kind of post-Easter Island culture, on a larger island, more like New Zealand.

Last edited by tantric; 12-07-2009 at 10:59 PM.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote