View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #192
offsides

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

OK, I see your points and don't disagree. In fact, I think that the solution to this is actually even simpler. Just remove the parentheses at the end of the first sentence of 6.07.1 (see 6.05, 6.08). By eliminating the callout, you simply state that SHVYs ram as though they were a Mk I, which implies that other than anything explicitly stated differently in the rest of the section, all other 6.XX rules that apply to a Mk I also apply to a SHVY. Meaning that it has the same rules other than the addition of suffering a 1-1 attack on itself when it's the attacker, and the rule about mounted infantry dying automatically rather than by die roll*. Which is probably what the intent was all along. (In fact, that actually makes the first sentence of the second paragraph of 6.07.1 unnecessary, though the second paragraph still is.)

* Upon re-reading 6.01.2, it's clear as mud exactly what's being discussed. Vehicles that ram while carrying INF don't suffer a die roll against them EXCEPT for SHVYs, therefore there is no die roll to affect the vehicle and INF per 5.11.2 (and said die roll is irrelevant for SHVYs as the INF die automatically). Not to mention INF riding on non-Ogres are explicitly covered in each of 6.07.X. So 6.01.2 only applies to INF riding Ogres. Which do suffer N dice of damage to treads, but there's no attack roll to apply to the INF. So the rule doesn't really make any sense. I'm not quite sure how to fix it, especially since I would say that INF riding on an Ogre should be a bit better protected than those riding on smaller vehicles - especially the big Ogres. Perhaps each squad takes a 1-2 attack with separate die rolls, giving a 33% chance of killing each individual squad? It's a corner case in any event, but the rule as written doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote