View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #48
coronatiger

Default Session 20 (2020-04-12)

3rd of Rama, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

Lunari complained about insect bites this morning, and Xipil mentioned having been stung, too. After treating Xipil’s sting, I discovered that Lunari wasn’t just whining. He had swollen up in several places, the skin pink and tender in areas larger than the bruise I gave when I punched him earlier. I treated the stings and took down the swelling. I checked myself for bite marks too, and found a couple, but whatever puny venom the insects had injected didn’t affect me.

Grogg had stayed awake all night guarding the spear, and Xipil asked if he had plans to conquer the world, like Lunari had when he held the spear. The spear apparently didn’t affect Grogg in the same way as it did Lunari, or else it made Grogg a much better liar than I would think possible. He claimed he had no more desire to conquer anything than he did yesterday. I believed him. He didn’t seem to possess the same overconfidence and determination that Lunari had demonstrated.

We had breakfast watching the carrion birds circling high above us. Xipil was concerned we didn’t have enough water and wanted Lunari to send the horse home, as it was our largest consumer of water, by far. Lunari refused to give up that fine specimen.

We applied ant oil and dug up the star box. It wasn’t completely discharged, so Lunari suggested to remain with the horse and his spear, catching up with us once the box had emptied its mystical energy. Xipil and I thought this was a very bad idea, both because of the spear, and because we didn’t want anyone to be alone in the desert, for however long it took to empty the box, which could be days, yet.

Heading north, Lunari and Xipil rode their respective mounts while Grogg and I walked. Ahead of us were sharp peaks and tall mesas. We traveled towards the nearest mesa, half a day away. Xipil and Lunari talked about filling the box on top of the mesa, where it would have a clear view of the night sky. We wouldn’t be able to get Grogg or the animals up, but I guessed I’d manage the climb if Xipil could get a rope up first.

When we got nearer the mesa, the others found tracks of humanoids hunting. Xipil said they had tried to hide their tracks. Maybe something more dangerous hunted the hunters? We were still several kilometers away when Lunari spotted a tent west of the mesa. I couldn’t make it out, but we sent Xipil ahead to scout. We buried the star box while we waited for him to return.

The vultures had followed us sedately all day, but suddenly they flustered with activity. Kraa had apparently plucked a large feather from one of them, and delivered it to Grogg. The feather was thick with stinging insects, and I warned the others, causing Grogg to shake the feather, and the insects to wake up, seeking blood. A swarm of them buzzed quickly towards me, so I legged it. I managed to lose them in the desert, but not before being stung. Some of the insects tried to get Lunari, but on horseback, he outpaced them easily. Returning to the others, I compared the fresh stings with those I got last night, but they were practically invisible since the venom didn’t affect me, so it was hard to say whether they were caused by the same types of insects.

Suddenly, Xipil called out from afar. I couldn’t see him, and failed to discern his message, but there was someone between us and Xipil, running westward. I noticed Lunari eyeing the spear in Grogg’s hand, and darted towards the troll, in time to leap up behind Lunari on the horse before he charged after the runner. Grogg came loping after, and the fourteen giant ants followed.

Lunari and I soon overtook the runner, a human dressed in hunter’s garb, a bow on his back and a quiver on his hip balancing the axe on the other side. He put his arms up and begged for mercy, even dropping to his knees. Once Grogg, Xipil and the ants got closer, he got even more frantic, wild eyes darting around. Lunari called to Grogg to keep the ants away.

Lunari asked how many were in his party, and the hunter admitted that there were four others. Lunari also wanted to know what was on top of the mesa. The hunter didn’t understand why he wanted to know, but told him there were only a few hardy plants up there, growing in crevices in the rock. Lunari didn’t believe that he only was a hunter, seemingly thinking that he and his friends wanted to ambush us. Still on his knees, the hunter didn’t get away before Lunari trampled him.

Miraculously, the man got back on his feet, and he turned to me to beg for his life. I didn’t have time to reply, for Xipil moved up to him, and the hunter shouted for his friends to run. Xipil struck him with his staff and told him to shut up, which he promptly did.

I took the hunter by the arm, and we all returned to where the star box was buried. The fellow was on the verge of tears when he explained to me that they were out here hunting armored lizards. Lunari interjected a question of whether any of them were magicians. No, they were all hunters. Lunari grumbled that he still thought they were planning an ambush, but Xipil turned to me and asked my opinion of our prisoner. I said I thought he seemed sincere and truthful. I didn’t even want to tie him up when Lunari ordered me to. I complied only when the prisoner asked me to, himself. I passed his weapons to Grogg.

I thought he might have internal bleedings, and treated him as best I could. I asked his name, and he whispered that his name was Milen. I gave him my name, as well. We talked for a while, and I learned that his village lay to the south-east, in Aldera land. That was a surprise, for we had all assumed that he was an outlander from the wilds.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote