View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #43
coronatiger

Default Session 19 (2020-04-04)

26th of Mitra’s Second Month, year 412 (continued)

By the light of the lantern, we studied the map that Markus had provided. It covered Arland and the Prince’s Cities, as well as what was just beyond our borders. I could see that the map wasn’t made here in Arland, so the others’ theory that it came from the Prince’s Cities seemed reasonable.

At the city gates, the guards were about to stop us, but they recognized the sigil on the wagon and let us out. I paid attention to where Lunari guided the horses until I was certain he knew where to go, then I lay down and closed my eyes – after brushing my teeth, of course.

Xipil was concerned for a green-skin ambush on our way to Nadder, the village where we hoped to meet Lord Lunas. We managed to calm him down; we should be safe at least for the first half of the trip. As it was important that we made good time, I told Lunari to wake me when he grew too tired to drive, and I’d take over the reins.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

27th of Mitra’s Second Month, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

I woke in the middle of the night. I had a moment of panic when I couldn’t see anyone at the reins, but once I sat up, I saw that Lunari had fallen asleep, slumped over in the seat. I moved up to him and took the reins carefully so I didn’t wake him. I drove awkwardly, for since I didn’t want to wake him, I had to sit over him, leaning on the low backrest.

When the pre-dawn light hit his face, Lunari started stirring, his hand caressing my calf and moving upwards between my thighs. I gave the arm a solid punch, and even though I pulled my blow, I expected a colorful bruise to adorn him for the next couple of days. He startled awake, if he wasn’t already, and proclaimed his innocence. I shouldn’t blame him for moving in his sleep. I explained, quite calmly, that his hand had no business being where it had been, sleeping or no sleeping. He slunk back to the others in the wagon bed.

We passed some farmers coming out to do the day’s work, but they ignored us beyond a short glance. The rain had abated somewhat, making it less tedious to work the fields, not that I have any experience with farm labor.

We found a small village, and I pulled up at the inn so we’d get some breakfast. We had kept a sedate pace during the night, but we hadn’t made any stops, so we figured the horses needed a rest. Recognizing the Aldera sigil, militia-men asked who we were and what our errand was. I explained that we were going to help Lord Lunas against the green-skins. They hadn’t heard about the green-skin threat, so we assumed we’d have safe travel for most of the day. Polite words went a long way, for they offered to feed the horses while we broke our fast at the inn. Being blessed with good looks didn’t hurt, though.

After the meal, I asked the soldiers for local news. They had heard of the martial law in Guling and Ur, but were confident that the Aldera family could deal with whatever was going on. They had no new knowledge, at least pertaining to our quest. Lunari, Grogg and Xipil came outside just as I was asking directions to the village’s wise woman, and decided to come along when one of the soldiers offered to take us there.

Lunari asked for crow’s toes, earning a frown and a huff from the elderly woman. Grogg gave her a gold coin, and she said she’d examine him; his magic needle hadn’t healed all the wounds from the tower raid, yet. The rest of us were shown the door. After a while, Grogg and the wisdom came outside, and she invited Lunari in for a talk. Grogg glared at me, and I asked if there was something he wanted to ask me. He said there wasn’t. Once Lunari came outside again, I slipped inside and asked for birth-bane root. The wisdom said she’d give me a dose for free, but I told her I needed more. I didn’t tell her of my resistance to the drug; that was none of her business. I figured I’d rather have her believe me a lightskirt than give away Your secrets. I got eight doses at a steep price, and a similarly disapproving frown as she had given Lunari, earlier. It should be enough for two “incidents”, taking my resistance into account. The wise woman’s assistant was ignoring his patient, caressing me with his eyes instead. I couldn’t help but wink at him when I left. I don’t know why I did; I have no desire to pursue a relationship with him, nor did I wish to take him for a tumble in the hayloft.

Xipil wanted to know why Grogg stared that way at me. I didn’t know. Grogg does many silly things. Xipil also asked what my errand was with the wise woman. I explained that I needed medicine. “Are you sick?” he continued worriedly, but I assured him that this was not the case.

We stayed in the village for another hour, and Lunari made a pass at the young woman who worked in the inn’s kitchen. She saw through him, and rebuked the attempt. When we left the village, I thought they were going to talk about us for days to come, if not weeks.

We stopped in another village for lunch, and one of the village women changed into a shorter dress and offered her services to Lunari. They vanished into a room adjacent to the common room. The walls weren’t very thick, so Xipil and I decided we’d go look for a chapel. We didn’t find one, but we discovered a small seamstresses’ shop, and Xipil sent me inside to buy some fabric for Grogg.

When the sun was nearing the horizon, we found a slightly larger village and entered the inn. Lunari’s eyes immediately fell on the working girl who was talking to a local when we entered. Lunari hired the girl and the only available room. She seemed impressed with him being a foreigner.

Xipil and I went in search for a chapel. Again, we failed to find one, but we spotted a vineyard outside the village, and went to check it out. Anything was better than having to listen to Lunari’s antics. There were guards at the vineyard, but they didn’t challenge us. A middle-aged man came to meet us and correctly deduced that we weren’t merchants. I told him we were travelers, curious about the wines. Maybe we’d buy a bottle or two.

The man took us on a short tour of the facilities and allowed me to taste his wines. Even with small sips of each, the amount I imbibed would make another person at least tipsy, so I pretended to get a little drunk. The salesman was on the job, but took some sips himself as well, and made the occasional flirtatious comment. He didn’t go so far as to become a bother, and I ended up buying a bottle that I thought Lunari might enjoy. I felt a little bad for punching him as hard as I had done; he’s so frail!

Back at the inn, Lunari was still bouncing about with the strumpet. I commented on the noise to the innkeeper, and got permission to pitch my tent among the fruit trees out back. Xipil and I went outside. He asked if he could sleep in my tent. I don’t mind sleeping in the same room as him, generally, but the tent is really only large enough for one. He climbed one of the trees instead, after we had done our evening rituals.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote