View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #28
DataPacRat

Default Re: Any GURPS stats for black holes, pulsars, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Uncontrollable Appetite".

The simple calculation for a relativistic collision is a Slam, per p. B371. The speed of light is about Move 3.3*10^8, so an impactor does 3,300,000 dice of damage, call it ten million HP, per hit point it has. This probably underestimates the damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Wouldn't that just be conventional collision rules? Speed of light is about Move 327,000,000, so just multiply mass HP by 3,270,000 (or whatever fraction you want to use) and that's how many dice to use.
Ah, nice and simple.

... Of course, I'm going to be an annoying physics fan and complicate it up a bit, because relativity is fun. I think I'll take a reasonably high, not-particularly-relativistic speed, like 0.6c, as a baseline for damage (that is, ObjectHP * 196,200,000d), and for higher speeds, use the ratios of the Lorentz factors instead of straight speeds. That is, 0.6c has a Lorentz factor of 1.250; so an object travelling at a speed of Lorentz 2.5 would do double the damage - that's around 0.915c; a Lorentz of 10 (0.995c) eight times; a Lorentz of 100 (0.99995c) eighty times, and so on. (Or, to make it one step simpler, set damage as ObjectHP*LorentzFactor*156,960,000d.)

Now, since we're dealing with a Wall Shield of DR 30,000,000 (which I'm assuming can deflect relativistic-level masses as well as it can gamma rays), and assuming an average damage roll, then a 1-hp object (a 1/512 lb or 0.9 gram homogeneous rock) going at Lorentz 0.05 (1/25th 0.6c's baseline L1.25, meaning 0.024c) would do around 27M damage, enough for the shields to sit up and take notice but not quite let damage through. And a 2-hp object (a 1/64 lb or 7.1g rock) would only have to be going half that speed, and so on. 2.4%c... isn't really all that much; the speedster itself can accelerate itself up to that intrinsic velocity in only 38 minutes.

It looks like the safe zone around a body with ridiculously-high gravity may be more a matter of how fast the local rubble might have been accelerated to, rather than strictly due to the dangers of the body itself. After all, I seem to recall that the fastest-spinning known neutron star twirls at 0.24c, so any tiny bits that get flung off for whatever reason (such as a random rock dropping down onto its surface and disturbing its equilibrium) are going to be moving at quite a clip...
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote