View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #17
coronatiger

Default Session 13 (2020-02-09)

6th of Mitra’s Second Month, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

The four of us talked a little after waking up. We learned that the priests had mounted the golden sun again, and that it was that which had flashed last morning. In fact, it flashes at both sunrise and sunset, and the curfew is in effect between the flashes. Once the streets outside were getting busy, our companion from last night left. The other man wasn’t very talkative, so I spent some time playing with the snakes.

After a couple of hours, the Toxiner returned with a Night Stalker, a woman maybe about Rhuk’s age. I started telling her about the Mitra priest I met yesterday, but she interrupted me and said we should pray first, so that You would be in our minds even when we discussed other gods. We even left the main chamber to do a quick wash.

I told the Night Stalker about Kamal, the high priest, and what the Mhalak had told him. The woman said that everyone should pick up a snake, and then we’d pray again. I found one that called out to me. Xipil wasn’t sure that he was included, as he was just a Spawn, but I told him to find a snake and do what I did. As the woman chanted a poetic prayer, the remaining snakes started climbing all over her. Her chant died off fifteen minutes or so later, and the snakes receded. I let her have some time for herself to process the experience; it wouldn’t do to pester her.

She beckoned me to approach after a couple of minutes. She told me that there is indeed a prophet in the south, not an Ashtarite. He carries something ancient, and he should be somewhere in the far south of Arland. Stones surround him, and if I go to meet him, I mustn’t go alone. I asked if I should find fellow Ashtarites to accompany me, but we agreed that my current companions would suffice, although I should seek further advice when I reached Sam.

I talked some more with the Toxiner, and came to the conclusion that he’s a Biter, too, just like me. Then somebody came in with food and beer, and changed the wash water. The priestess and the Toxiner left soon after. Xipil and I waited for cover of darkness before exiting the city.

Grogg and Lunari were still awake when we arrived, a couple of hours later. Lunari showed me through the magic ring that Grogg had a ghost raven on his shoulder, which I saw as a bad omen. We’ll run into trouble soon.

My backpack didn’t show signs of tampering, but I still accused Lunari of messing with it. He protested his innocence, but I didn’t believe him. Not that it mattered. I don’t think he discovered my secrets.

Both Xipil and Lunari were eager to check out the stone circles south of the river, so I agreed to cross over with them tomorrow to take a look. The prophet can wait. I brushed my teeth meticulously before going to bed.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

7th of Mitra’s Second Month, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

I asked Lunari to fix breakfast while I went to find someone with a boat. Plenty of guys at the docks were eager to give me a ride, but the interest faded when I said brought three companions. I still managed to arrange for a crossing in one hour.

Once we got up from the river bank, the land was as flat and boring as a boy’s chest. Xipil stood on Grogg’s shoulders, but didn’t see any stone circles nearby. I figured we needed to proceed towards the south-east, and found a path between two fields, going in approximately that direction.

We weren’t supposed to be there, on private land, so when we saw a group of people working in the fields, I hailed them, and two of them came over. I explained that I was guiding some rather particular foreigners, who had gotten the idea of checking out the stone circles around here for some reason. I gave them my last two silver pieces, and one of them offered to show us the way.

He took us to a stony piece of land where nothing grew, about fifty yards across. Our guide let us go and have a look around while he waited outside. The area was just as boring as I suspected, but then Xipil bade me look through the magic ring. I looked around with amazement. Twelve priests were present, apparently doing whatever tasks they remembered from when this was a temple.

I noticed that our guide didn’t come onto the stones, and when I asked why, he claimed he didn’t want to step onto unnatural ground. That corresponded with the superstitions of bad luck that the lower classes have about the stone circles. However, considering what I’d just seen through the magic ring, I thought maybe there was something to it, after all.

We got the guide to take us to the other two stone circles in the area. The one we just left was the largest one, and the smallest had no strange sightings through the magic ring. There were twelve more priests at the last circle.

The guide was insistent that we had to leave before sunset, so I asked him to take us to the village I knew lay on the south shore of the river. He looked at me expectantly when we reached the village. I gave him a peck on the cheek as I was out of silver. He seemed satisfied with that. Once he left, I told Lunari he owed me three silver pieces. I had paid one when we stayed with the old, senile woman a while back, and Lunari had agreed to cover my expenses.

We entered the inn and ordered dinner and rented rooms. Lunari and Xipil were eager to check out the stone circles in starlight, and I suggested that Grogg and I stayed behind to cover for them. Grogg can’t sneak, anyway. I promised Lunari I wouldn’t go through his stuff.

There were three men in the common room. Merchants, I gathered. I asked if they wanted to buy me a few drinks. One of them was very eager, but the others held him back. He had clearly caused some trouble for the other two earlier, in a similar situation. I think they mistook me for a prostitute. The eager one gave me two copper pieces in the end, and I walked over to where Grogg sat at the bar and ordered beer.

Grogg gave me a shot of something and I downed it in one go. As I worked my way through the beer, I pretended to get gradually more intoxicated. Of course, Your blessing has made me resistant to the effect of alcohol. After a couple of hours, I started dancing, and the bartender showed some talent with a flute. The horny merchant looked longingly at me, but I ignored him. His companions made him stay put in his seat, anyway. When Grogg asked if I wanted company, I responded slurrily, “Oh, yes! I’m going to wake up Lunari and get him to ram me against the wall. It’s going to be fabulous!”

I staggered upstairs and locked myself into my room. I brushed my teeth and prepared for bed. Then I finished the night’s performance by making loud sex noises for a short while. I made sure to shout Lunari’s name in between moans and groans.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote