View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 05:01 AM   #14
coronatiger

Default Session 12 (2020-01-19)

2nd of Mitra’s Second Month, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

Lunari woke me up to take watch. With the dense cloud cover, it was quite dark. By Your gift, I could see just fine anyway. When it was time to wake someone else, I felt a desire to remain awake a little longer. In fact, I remained on watch until morning, letting the others sleep.

Baldrian made soup for breakfast again. My clothes were still moist, so I didn’t change into them. I left my knives in the pack, for we would arrive at Sulla soon, and I didn’t want them to be seen. Small, blue patches broke through the dark clouds, a good sign.

I tried to get some sleep on Baldrian’s shoulder while we traveled, and woke when some farmers in a cart, coming the other way, informed us that the gates of Sulla were closed. I could see the city was not far off, perhaps an hour or two. We continued on, in spite of what the farmers had said.

We parked the wagon some distance from the city, and Lunari, Grogg, Baldrian and I went ahead on foot to check out the situation. There were quite a few people sitting and waiting outside the gate. Baldrian knocked on the gate, and a small window opened just long enough for a surly guard to tell him that we couldn’t enter.

Grogg was tall enough to see over the palisade, and I asked him to lift me up so I could have a look as well. The Mitra temple used to have a golden sun on its tallest spire, but that seemed to have fallen down in the storm. This was indeed a bad omen, and no wonder they had closed the city. They’d have to open soon, or else the populace would starve, I told my companions.

Baldrian asked if I knew of a noble mansion somewhere in the vicinity, where he could hopefully sell his weapons. I didn’t know the exact location of the Vasulla hall, but I asked the locals, and got directions.

When we returned to the wagon, Xipil said he wanted to sneak inside the city when it got dark, but I was fairly certain I had learned all there was to know about the situation.

After skirting Sulla, we found a village on the north side and checked into the inn. We were about the only customers, and the innkeeper came to talk while we ate. He was clearly a Vasulla patriot, and told us about the feud between Vasulla and Furkan. He brought up a duel that had occurred between the two houses, and how Furkan had cheated, and I commented that this was old news, having taken place months ago.

Lunari showed me an exotic bird’s beak, and asked if I wanted him to fashion it into a knife for me. I thanked him for the consideration, but declined the offer, as I didn’t think I’d have much use for it. I have enough knives already.

My dress was dry now, but it was travel-stained and grimy, so I gave it to the inn’s staff to have it cleaned. Then I retired to my room, took a bath, brushed my teeth and went to bed.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote