View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 01:05 AM   #23
corwyn

Default Re: Campaign idea: the Shattered Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
A couple other thoughts - are elves, dwarves, orcs, etc creations of the magic golden age? Or even mutants created by the magical apocalypse?
For those familiar with it, Evernight, a Savage Worlds setting has an interesting take on Elves, Halflings and Dwarves and Orcs. Basically resulting from genetic experimentation.

Quote:

On a tangential note, I remember a D&D blogger who came up with the idea of a campaign using only monsters from the Fiend Folio. He concluded you would wind up with something feeling more post-apocalyptic than vanilla fantasy. You might consider filtering for monsters that are a little weird & unnatural and weeding out more mundane & mythic creatures to give more of an "After the End" feel.
I've more or less done that in a D&D 1e game. I used to freak my players out just leaving it on the table - something I still do as I convert a lot of critters. The 1e FF has a lot of iconic coll monsters in it - Drow, before they became ubiquitous thanks to D'rizz, Aarakocra, Githyanki/Githzerai, Flumph, Grell, Skeleton Warrior, Oriental Dragon, Slaad.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote