View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Intolerance's Pricing System is Weird

Yes, the pricing assumes "All of set A except for a single element corresponding to people similar to me" is almost always going to be bigger than "A single element of set A." For instance, if A = {a1, a2, a3, a4} and I'm characterized by a4, then Intolerance of {a1, a2, a3} spans more space than Intolerance of {a1}. That's why it's -10 points rather than -5 to -1 points.

If you manage to engineer a situation where this produces weird results, well, fix it. This most often comes up when A = {a1, a2} and I'm characterized by a2; then both forms of Intolerance amount to Intolerance of {a1} and should both be worth -5 or -10 points (as the GM prefers). It can also come up when one element is huge relative to the others, and we're comparing two different people completely. For instance, if A = {a1, a2, a3, a4} and I'm characterized by a4, which is far larger than all the other elements put together, then my Intolerance of {a1, a2, a3} might be less relevant than someone else's Intolerance of just {a4}. In that case, the GM might have to flip the pricing.

But it's key to realize that those last couple of situations are extraordinary. Usually, you'll have enough elements of approximately equal importance to use the pricing in the rules.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote