View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

My current voice-chat game is pretty close to a realm management game. After a player observed at the end of the session that we did very little dice rolling that night, I wondered briefly what gurps specifically brought to this game. My internal answer: it brought answers to questions about running a fantasy kingdom in a satisfying way that didn't require much work before hand.

If I want to know how much tax the players have access to when ruling the kingdom... that's in Gurps. If I want to know how much they have to pay to field the kingdom's army... that's in Gurps too. If I want to know how dangerous a city-wide riot is in terms of the troops... city stats and mass combat tells me the combat strength of the entire city up in arms. If I need to know how much a food to feed one-fifth of the kingdom costs because my players and considering a stupidly large import project -- Gurps has a good framework for that (and robust enough that I'm not worried about the numbers making it miraculously work and destroying one of the core dilemmas of the campaign).

And I really don't have to worry about it until I need it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote