View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #46
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Alternate Mana Level Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
"High Fantasy" meaning "secondary world" and "Low Fantasy" meaning "historical fantasy" is way older than GURPS. It's only very recently, I think within the last decade, that people, mainly gamers, started using "High Fantasy" to mean "Dungeons and Dragons", I think because of WotC ad copy.
I think it may be older than that. I'm pretty sure it was more than 10 years ago when I disagreed with Bill's defintions and proposed that most gamers would expect that "High Fantasy" meant "Fantasy with a high incidence of fantastic elements" and "Low Fantasy" would mean the opposite.

I most see High Fantasy in ad copy on Amazon bt there it differentiates from "Urban Fantasy" and contextually means "traditional fantasy with elves and dwarves and dragons in a made up world".

Note that for practical purposes virtually any human's use of "traditional" is going to mean "The way things were done when I was young".

Said ad copy also isn't that distinct from "Sword and Sorcery" which term has become more common recently. IMHO it's used by people who have very little idea of what it "should" mean but there's very little to be done about that.