View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
Refplace

Default Re: Questions about maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer View Post
Am I right in concluding that DFRPG (boxed set) is strictly dungeon crawling but gives you everything you need; the separate line of DF materials is mostly dungeon crawling but adds other aspects such as Taverns, Wilderness Adventures, settings such as Caverntown, etc. and requires a little more work; and the source books such as Fantasy, Magic, etc. are more of a set of guidelines where you need to create the campaign/game world yourself?

Is it possible to start with DFRPG to see if I like it and transition to DF or even Fantasy/Magic source books later to expand the campaign into more of a full-fledged game world? I know a few of the rules are different in DFRPG, but from what I've read it seems like these differences are minor (especially considering that DFRPG uses some of the same books from DF). I know there's a whole game world, Nordland, for DFRPG but it's Viking-themed and I don't think I want that type of campaign.
I would say you have the right impression of the differences.
DFRPG is streamlined from the Basic set by tweaking a few rules for simplicity but mostly it edits out the non genre stuff like Sci-Fi, modern, etc.
Adding material from the DF line should be pretty easy for the most part and the few things that reference differences in Basic vs. DFRPG should be easy to ignore, use as is without knowing the "under the hood" mechanics (like exactly how a power-up is built. You can just use the power-up and not worry about the math behind it.
The few things that call on material you wont understand without another without Basic or another supplement can be ignored, asked about on the forums, or might be interesting enough for you to acquire more material.

Nordland has some good material even if you do not like Vikings, but it is mostly Vikings, at least for now.
The Bestiary in particular is useful and you should recognize a lot of the monsters.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote