View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: See Secrets spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
This does get tricky because if the curtains were hung there with the intention of concealing the secret door then they are part of the secret and should show up. If on the other hand they were hung there for decoration then they should not and removing them is necessary so you can see the secret door itself.
To me, the intention behind hanging the curtains doesn't enter into it. If you can't see the secret door because there are curtains in the way, you can't see the secret door. Period. Spell or no spell. It says "Causes hidden items, doors, traps, etc., to stand out clearly in the subject’s vision." A door behind a curtain is not in the subject's vision, so it doesn't stand out. The curtain is not hidden, so it doesn't stand out in their vision. Move the curtain and you'll see the door that is otherwise cunningly hidden from normal view.

I found this is a very, very easy way to run the spell. It's still incredibly useful, and quite powerful, but if you strictly follow the letter of "in the subject's vision" then it's not overwhelming.

Also, for secret doors and traps - just because you see the door or spot the trap, doesn't mean you know how to open it or how to disarm or avoid the trap. Forewarned is forearmed, not invulnerable.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote