View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #125
Skarg

Default Re: New Xp System: Not a Fan

The main issue I have found with PCs constantly improving, in both TFT & GURPS, is that at some point (which varies by player and GM) the PCs become too good at practically everything. And that, at least, is addressed by the Legacy Edition's new XP system (unless someone really does decide to give out ever-increasing amounts of XP - but I'd say that's just up to them).

There are other issues as well, which too will of course meet different levels of (dis)agreement from different players. For instance, at some point the PCs may have abilities that make them seem very unlike who they were originally. Or their abilities may just seem wrong (e.g. the high-ST halfling). Or they may "run out of good things to improve". Or the GM may be hard-pressed to have his game make sense in the face of the players' fantastic powers. Or logic may dictate that the situation for the PCs may become terribly deadly. Etc.

So I think there is a wise desire for diminishing returns and/or limits to greatness. The tricky part is tuning those just right for your own tastes.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote