View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #123
Shostak

Default Re: New Xp System: Not a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post

Which is part of what worries me about the ever growing list of talents that most characters are pretty well forced to acquire. How the heck do they have the time to maintain their talents to such a peak level?

I'm thinking people will simply treat talents like sticky badges, they'll slap them on like an over-enthusiastic boy scout and will do very little if anything to 'maintain' them. Sword/Shield Mastery and UACV will become common because "well you might as well - you're never going to get another point of DX".
If you are concerned about too many talents, just become parsimonious with XP awards. Its simple, and its by-the-book.

All of this power level stuff only becomes important when the focus of your game is to "level up." If your group is more interested by the roleplaying side of the game, gaining talents and increased stats is just not the point. If leveling up is your group's thing, then it might be best to just embrace the PC's becoming powerful, assuming they survive long enough.

The increasing cost of attributes encouraging a shift toward enriching characters with talents and spells comes across to me as a feature of the new system rather than a bug.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote