View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #41
tbeard1999

Default Re: Priests and Theologians in Rick's Campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone, Aramis.
If you could be more specific as to what you want to know, I'll be happy to take another crack at it.

Warm regards, Rick.
Hey Rick. I think he wants some detail on the mechanics you used to determine whether a cleric was living up to his god's expectations and suchlike. Or, was it inspired GM fiat?

I always thought a system of "faith points" might be fun. Everything a cleric does in accordance with his deity's desires would add points; everything against his deity's desires would cost points. In addition, there would be a daily reduction in faith points, so a cleric would need to consistently see to his faith. Faith points would be used to power clerical miracles or obtain benefits from the Church (like the use of a holy artifact, or the assistance of one of the Church's fighting orders). Each religion would have a list of specific things that grant or cost faith points, and there'd be a general list. Example:

General
Daily faith point loss: -1 fp
Pray and follow daily observances for 1 hour: +1 fp (max 1 per day)
Work a full day seeing to the needs of the faithful: +2 fp

Specific Faith Points for the Church of Divine Truth
Tithe $100-199 to the Church: +1 fp
Tithe $200-499 to the Church: +2 fp
Tithe $500-1000 to the Church: +3 fp
For every thousand in tithes after $1000, earn 1 fp
(Tithes are counted up each month and points awarded; tithes can be paid in money or in value - labor, goods, whatever. However, fp from tithes may not exceed NET fp earned for other acts in a given month).
Bringing a powerful non-believer to the faith: +1 to +5 depending on power
Converting 25 commoners to the faith: +1
Slay an evil (i.e., condemned by the Church) monster: +1 to +5
Perform a genuine good or selfless deed: +1 to +5
Follow your faith's requirements when doing so exposes you to serious risk of death: +3
Seriously harm a foe who has surrendered: -2
Steal from someone: -1 to -3
Cheat someone: -1 to -3
Kill a foe who has surrendered: -5
Do an assigned penance: fp equal to the cost of a particular transgression; the penance will be proportional to the transgression

Etc.

If the cleric's faith points drop to a certain level below zero and stays there for so many days in a certain period, the cleric risks excommunication and loss of powers. It should be relatively easy for the cleric to break even daily - his normal daily prayers and the like would do that. But to earn enough points for impressive miracles, the cleric would have to expend resources that are important in the game. You might allow very minor powers that don't require faith points at all.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 04-19-2018 at 11:10 AM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote