View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #43
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Naruto like campaign, beginner needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche View Post
Was quickly wondering if I could do this for the Arms of Stone:
Arms of Stone (DX/H), cost 2 Chi/use:
DR +1/Level (base 5pts), Earch Chi power -15%, Costs 1 extra Chi -5%, Active Defense -40% (total -60%) would cost 2pts/level.
Yup, that's correct. Don't forget to add an extra -5% if you want it to only be able to draw on "Chi" FP from an Energy Reserve, and not regular FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche
Enhanced block is paid for over 5 levels, making the cost 3pts/level. At levels 5, 10, 15, etc. gain one level of Enhanced Block.

this way it would be a steady cost, and make players want to pay up to the 5 levels. this also makes the point cost level and easier to manage.
That's definitely an interesting idea! You're right, it smooths out the point cost nicely, and makes it easier to present. The only concern I'd have is that it's technically making characters pay points for something they're not actually benefiting from. Someone who bought Stone Arms 4 and not more than that would, technically, be paying 4 points for nothing. But at 1 point, it's really not that onerous. In this case, as a player, I'd be okay with it. I'd be careful about doing this with more expensive powers, though. If the Enhanced Block cost 15 points, and I was paying 3 points a level for something useless, I might feel a bit more ripped off.

Another way of doing this might be to apply limitations to the secondary advantage that each level of the ability progressively bought off. So, for this ability, you could give Enhanced Dodge 1 at level 1, but with a -80% limitation to bring it down to only 1 point. Then reduce that to a -60% limitation at level 2, -40% at level 3, and so forth. That way, the character is actually getting a benefit for those points they're paying, even if it's a pretty restricted advantage. Mind you, I can't offhand think of anything to suggest for a -80% limitation here.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 04-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote