View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
Icelander

Default Re: Takedown Rifles (1990s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
What's your minimum acceptable cartridge? 5.56 NATO? 7.62x39?
Seeing as these are meant to be hard to trace, I don't want to make them all identical. They'll acquire various types.

That being said, takedown lever-action rifles in .45-70 will be quite effective even with iron sights out to 150-200 yards, so I figure we're looking for ranges above that.

Also, there are still used Remington 8 / Remington 81 Woodsmaster rifles in .35 Remington available priced at around $900 that will shoot well enough at 200 yards with iron sights.

At similar prices, you can get a Remington 81 Woodsmaster in .300 Savage, which should be accurate enough as far as the shooter can use iron sights.

5.56x45mm NATO is definitely acceptable for 300-400 yards, especially if there are good optics and a heavy for caliber bullet with decent BC.

A custom conversion of a Winchester 95 rifle in 7.62x54R would potentially be accurate enough to hit minute-of-tango at 500+ yards, but most people can't shoot that far under combat conditions, especially not without a scope.

I was thinking something around 6.5x55mm, 7mm-08 or .308 Win for the bolt-action rifles.