View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #44
Edges

Default Re: Improved Melee Defaults for Skilled Combatants

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you are going to collapse them just to collapse them, and not because you want vastly cheaper or something, consider just using the existing Wildcard skill rules. Yeah the "official" ones for melee weapons are almost uselessly narrow for their costs, but there's no particular reason you couldn't allow Melee!, or Fight!, especially if you use the straight interpretation of the Basic Set rules that just amounts all the included skills with no special additional benefits. Yeah 24 points for everything at DX seems kind of on the high side for the initial buy in, but not all that bad, and 12 per additional level (i.e. the cost to improve just 3 skills) is actually pretty fair. If you really have a problem with the base cost (and honestly if you are comparing it to those same 3 skills at DX for 6 points, 24 points is pretty high), it's not too tough to include enough additional stuff like techniques at full DX, or perks (normally specialized by skill but here applying to everything included) to bring the value up. Armed Grapple, Cavalry Training, Close Combat, Fast Draw, Reverse Grip and Sweep at full skill, plus Form Mastery, Grip Mastery, Reach Mastery, Reverse Grip, Off Hand Weapon Training and Quick Sheathe, would come to more than 18 points (for one weapon!), bundle them into Melee! for all weapons and 24 starts to seem quite a fair buy in price.
My point was that the current skill system does not have uniformity is skill specificity. PCs don't need to pay a premium for Acrobatics! when they want to know trapeze, tightrope, human stacking, aerial silks, uneven bars, and all the dozens of vastly different abilities that are all covered by Acrobatics. Yet they are expected to pay such a premium to have all of the (I would say more closely-related) melee skills.

To bring melee skills more in line with the level of resolution of the rest of the skills, there really should just be one... maaaaybe two melee skills.

I get why it is the way it is. GURPS is more of a fighting game than a circus/sport game. But I think there could be more consistent ways of modeling it. The way Area Knowledge is arranged would be a great direction to take all the skills in, imo. As a bonus, it would effectively do away with the default system all together.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote