View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #42
Polydamas

Default Re: Improved Melee Defaults for Skilled Combatants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Realistically, any serious fighter is going to have a higher DX than normal, which gives them superior defaults for melee weapons across the board.

If you want someone whose default skills with all melee weapons are better than normal, but who doesn't have superhuman DX, another possibility might be a variant on the "Jack of All Trades" Talent, which just boosts default skill levels for melee weapons, 5 points per level, and a maximum default level of DX-1 seems fair.
But not enough. In GURPS, someone who trains with a sword has an overwhelming incentive to keep using it, even if an axe is better in the situation. In real life, the kinds of guys who would probably have DX 11-12 and several skills around 14 often had three or four different sidearms on their body and their saddle and switched as needed in the same way a modern infantryman switches between a long gun, an anti-tank weapon, and the radio. I wouldn't give myself more than DX 9 and 2-4 points in various Melee Weapon skills, and training a proper martial art certainly made me more effective with a wide variety of tools!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 04-13-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote