View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #12
Gef

Default Re: Getting the Gods into the Magic System

>>>I don't think I can group gods together for paths in a way that isn't arbitrary.

My decisions were arbitrary, too, and in a lot of cases I had to make an arbitrary decision which version of mythology to work with. In some cases there's too much, in some cases lots of holes, but what matters is that the players buy it. I tried to follow family connections, frex father-and-son Suen and Shamesh from Babylonian, or otherwise look at gods that are appealed to in concert.

>>>There is also the issue of gods with very broad portfolios. For instance, Red Bull is a god of Agriculture, Drugs, Fire, Law, Fertility, the Sun, and War

Now this case I considered, and in fact used in the tradition of Ra. What you tend to see in real-world mythology is a series of titles for broad-portfolio gods to indicate which aspect is invoked, and in some cases these indicate syncretism of separate gods. In any case, keeping paths relatively consistent in scope means that some gods may simply have more than one path. So for instance Red Bull of the Sky gets Fire (also works for Sun), Justice (for Law), and Strategy (aspect of War), while Red Bull of the Field gets Agriculture (includes Fertility), Battle (different aspect of War), and Inspiration (because drugs come from agriculture).

>>>Thank you - very interesting! Have you considered putting it up on the GURPS Wiki under fan settings?

Never thought of that; I'll check it out. The reason I posted here was in the hope of generating discussion about certain aspects, such as:

*The spirit taxonomy which you need to work out in order for Summon, Bind, and Fetish to be useful

*The Skepticism mechanic (only needed in an Urban Fantasy setting)

*The incorporation of rules for tools and software from the tech books into path magic modifiers

*The pricing of fetishes and prepared spells and the assumptions from which they derive

Unfortunately, it's not terribly useful to discuss these things out of context, and presenting the whole setting causes a massive case of Too Long; Didn't Read. However, it's out there for the next guy who searches for a phrase like "path magic spirits," and I think my reasoning comes through well enough to make it easy to consider how changing some parameters could affect the whole. Since I've been running this thing for a few months, I really like the way it has come together. Took awhile for players to wrap their heads around it, but because I had a basis to answer their questions consistently, they're really starting to figure out what they can do and better, to consider the options available to NPC magicians in the game.

Last edited by Gef; 03-20-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote