View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #39
Fish

Default Re: NPC random statistics roll chart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
The luck/unluck based Advantages/Disadvantages could be fun.
What, in your opinion, is the statistical distribution for luck and unluck? I could design the distribution any way you want, but how do we agree what is realistic? 5% of people are lucky, or 0.5%?

I'm not trying to make a complete NPC generator, with all advantages, disadvantages, quirks, perks, skills, names, income, appearance, date of birth, blood type and so on included in the model. All I'm trying to do is find a way to model with dice a given population profile: how many of Group X are A, B and C?

Take Europe, for instance: if you choose randomly from the set "people in Europe" (830 million people) you're very likely to choose people from Russia (140 million people, about 75% of whom live in European Russia). After that, Germany (82 million), Turkey (75 million), and France (65 million).

But "people from Russia" isn't the same as "people born in Russia," which isn't the same as "Russian-speaking people born in Russia to Russian parents." A certain percentage of people who live in Russia will be German, Polish, Greek, American, etc.

That can be modeled with ease. The demographics exist, and we agree what "reality" is.

Take autism: some studies say that 1 in 150 people in the U.S. suffer from autism. I would venture to say, however, that this number is high, if we're speaking of "autism so severe that it's worth points in GURPS."

I have no idea how to model things like Intolerance, Luck, or OPH, and whether they overlap with other conditions. Are famous Hollywood actors and athletes more likely to have Luck? Are white people more likely to be Intolerant, or less? It's hard to find the right mathematical model.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote