View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #21
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Padded Cloth and Layered Armour penalty

If you use the design rules in Pyramid rules they will give you a "thickness" when you create armour. You could link some kind sliding scale DX penalty to that.

I.e. so a layer of padded cloth that was DR2 would be rather a lot thicker than a layer of DR3 mail.

Granularity will be a question though, -1DX per layer is already the finest grain the system can do.

There's also the question that some other physical aspects might apply, rigidity for instance even if it's not enough to qualify at non-flexible in the system. It is almost impossible to make cloth or leather armour not become more and more rigid as thickness increases. Another great thing about mail* is that in terms of increasing equivalent DR it maintains it's flexibility for far longer than padded or leather.

So with that in mind it maybe worth applying a different sliding scale for different armours. But as I say due to the granularity issue this kind of distinction might just be below the ability of the system to discern unless you have whopping great penalties at the upper end of the range to fit smaller ones under.

*what I might do is allow mail below a certain thickness benefit from more relaxed layering rules. Say (for example) if it's fine or light you can cover the torso and the upper thighs for no layering penalty, but any more location coverage than that and you get the usual -1DX pen.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-24-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote