View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: When to homebrew and when to use the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj234 View Post
Yes, I have seen all the other threads. They typically discuss using the Powers approach, but this seems to require an eidetic memory of all the modifiers and other stuff associated with the Powers book.
Not really. There is some learning curve with Powers, but it's fairly easy to look stuff up while you're designing magic: building stuff in advance where possible, rather than doing it during play, is preferable. PDFs make searching fast and accurate.
Quote:
Even if I was more familiar with the book I still hate the idea of being limited to the modifiers printed on the pages. Having a finite number of options to choose from really doesn't sit well with me.
The options can be combined with other options, the only limit being making sense. The number of combinations is at least hundreds of thousands, likely many millions. The ability to design stuff with Powers isn't (usually) a problem; the point costs sometimes are.

Many of the magic system design options in Thaumatology are not Powers-based.
Quote:
Any insight you could provide on how to achieve a Naruto-like magic (or power) system would really help.
I'm completely unfamiliar with it, but others may have seen it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote