View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #35
Curmudgeon

Default Re: [Powers / Psionics] Help with Uncontrollable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
<snip>

My solution would be to have the Uncontrollable Attack not target enemies. Instead, it focuses on light fixtures, structural supports, flammables, and so on. Its attacks, even when they tend to hinder the PC and his allies less than their opponents, definitely make life very interesting in the Chinese proverb sense- exactly what an "entity of a prankish or hostile nature" [Characters p.116] should be doing. Playing it like this, I think letting it attack without stealing the PC's turn should not be overpowering, and the balance feels about where it should be.
Which would be fine for abilities which cannot inflict damage and therefore take the Limitation at the -10% level (B116).

However, the Uncontrollable Limitation (B116) also states that a harmful ability (which in context must mean an ability which can inflict damage) goes after obvious foes first, but only the character whose ability it is, is truly safe, and that for such destructive powers the Limitation is taken at the -30% level.

Part of the issue may be that people are conflating the -10% version of the Limitation with the -30% version. They are mutually exclusive, i.e. a non-damaging power can't take Uncontrollable as a -30% Limitation and a damaging power can't take Uncontrollable as a -10% Limitation.

A -30% Limitation would be expected to impact the use of the Power to a greater extent than a -10% Limitation.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote