View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 09:17 PM   #30
Tinman

Default Re: [Powers / Psionics] Help with Uncontrollable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'd treat the ability as an independent entity when it's not controlled. The ability activates itself, and effectively acts like it has a mind of its own*. The character can take Move Maneuvers to run away while the ability is doing whatever it feels like (smashing things around it if it's a damage ability -- or not, if that somehow works out to be more "prankish or hostile").

If the concept did call for using up the character's actions, I'd probably start by trying a build with Backlash that inflicts Berserk, or some other appropriate Disad, like Obsession, Fanaticism, etc, that details what the character is supposed to be doing while they're out of control.

I agree with Prince Charon that the classic poltergeist is the conceptual model for Uncontrollable. The character remains active and aware, and can still do things while the ability is wreaking its havoc.

--
* Merely "effectively", because if I just said "it has a mind of its own", someone will inevitably ask if you can (frex) Mind Control or Sleep the uncontrolled entity separately from the character. I wouldn't make them that separate, which means being able to put the rogue ability down if you put the main character down. So by default it's not quite a Compartmentalized Mind (X ability only, controlled by GM) or sort-of Possession or Ally.
Thank you. What you said is very helpful & I appreciate it.
What you said pretty much mirrors my base opinion & what Christopher Rice said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
That's not the issue. The issue is whether you are paralyzed by pseudo-epileptic seizures while your subconscious is throwing a tantrum or playing a prank.
This eloquently states what the problem is.

However, I can also see the merit of people saying "your power is powerful & now you get 'free' mental attacks for no points".
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote