View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #24
Curmudgeon

Default Re: [Powers / Psionics] Help with Uncontrollable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
True, but the player makes the choice to do a maneuver.

I think at the point where all you are in control of is free actions it is effectively a GM character / NPC.

The biggest problem I have is I do see merit in the case you are putting forward.
Uncontrollable says the GM controls the power not the character, that means the player must be able to have meaningful control of character in other regards. Otherwise they'd just say GM takes control of the character.
Yes and no. The GM controls the power, but if the Power requires either a particular Maneuver or a limited set of Maneuvers in order to operate, then that choice belongs to the GM and not the player as it is part and parcel of controlling the Power. If the choice of Maneuver remained with the player, then the player could choose a Maneuver outside those allowed to the Power, thus preventing the use of the Power, which flies in the face of the Power being controlled by the GM.

Yes, while the Uncontrolled Power is in use, the character is effectively a NPC under the GM's control (again assuming that the character has only the two everyman Maneuvers per turn). That's rather the point of the Uncontrollable Limitation, which is a limitation on the Power.

Still, the player does always have the ability to make a Will roll as a Free Action to bring the Power back under his control, and with it control of the character.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote