View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 06:10 PM   #57
TippetsTX

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

So bearing in mind that I haven't updated this thread since August of 2019, I actually have stuck pretty close to the XP schedule that I posted back then. The difference is that my progession model is only one of numerous other significant changes that I have made to TFT over the last couple years. For example, the concept of character 'Tiers' is now core to my revised ruleset.

I also did a complete 180° with regard to keeping talents tied to IQ increases after character creation (i have actually eliminated most IQ prerequisites), but that’s a whole 'nother thread.

Anyway here's the framework I use now...

NOVICE Tier progression:
100 XP for each attribute point if character total is less than 32;
200 XP for 33rd/34th points;
300 XP for 35th/36th points;
250 XP for simple talents or spells (mostly equivalent to 1-point abilities);
400 XP for complex talents or spells (mostly equivalent to 2-point abilities);
450 XP for Tier 1 Powers (my own addition to the rules)

Once the character earns their 37th attribute point, they are in the VETERAN Tier.

In the VETERAN Tier:
600 XP for 37th/38th points;
800 XP for 39th/40th points;
1000 XP for 41st/42nd points;
900 XP for simple 'Veteran' talents or spells;
1200 XP for complex 'Veteran' talents or spells;
1300 XP for Tier 2 Powers

The two VETERAN tier categories (simple/complex) roughly correspond to talents that cost 2 or 3 IQ points respectively, though TBH, those 'weights' are no longer relevant in my system.

And finally, if the character manages to advance to their 43rd attribute point they cross into LEGENDARY status (which is still a ways off for my group).

In the LEGENDARY Tier:
1600 XP for 43rd/44th points;
2000 XP for 45th/46th points;
2400 XP for 47st/48th points;
2200 XP for simple 'Legendary' talents or spells;
2800 XP for complex 'Legendary' talents or spells;
3000 XP for Tier 3 Powers

The two LEGENDARY tier categories (simple/complex) roughly correspond to talents that cost 3, 4 or 5 IQ points, but I'm still developing a number of new talents and spells for this tier.

Beyond that, I have guidelines (only in draft) for a theoretical MYTHIC tier game.