View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #56
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
OK, I think I've finally settled on the character progression model that I will be using in place of the LE revisions in my campaign. I've worked on a few iterations over the last 8 months or so, but always felt the initial novice phase was over too quickly with my previous attempts. So without further ado...

Novice tier: Up to 36-points
31 - 100 XP
32 - 100 XP
33 - 200 XP
34 - 200 XP
35 - 300 XP
36 - 300 XP

Veteran tier: 37 to 42 points
37 - 600 XP
38 - 600 XP
39 - 800 XP
40 - 800 XP
41 - 1000 XP
42 - 1000 XP

Legendary tier: 43 to 48 points
43 - 2000 XP
44 - 2000 XP
45 - 2500 XP
46 - 2500 XP
47 - 3000 XP
48 - 3000 XP

Advancement beyond this point is possible, but unlikely given the escalating costs.
So, I kind of like this but the original TFT was even a little tougher than this. One could adopt the original EXP cost/Attribute chart and still be a little more strict.

I agree that per the current ITL suggestions for EXP award, this schedule should still combat the attribute bloat of the original system while still promoting the EXP purchase of talents/spells due to the increased cost of attributes. It would also address the talents/spells bloat at a stalled IQ promoted by the EXP cost/attribute in the new ITL.

In my personal opinion, they didn't have to make the EXP cost/attribute so mathematically unreasonable to combat attribute bloat. merely adding the option to purchase talents/spells with EXP would have done that and added an interesting dimension in character development to the same game.

The new ITL still reveals itself to be an exercise in NERFing and stifling run amok. Character development is also one of the fun aspects of this game that seems to have been NERFed out of it. I get that there was Attribute bloat under the original system. As a GM, I knew how to deal with it while keeping the game active and fun. I will attribute that to the fact that our encounters and battles grew to involve more than a small handful of characters. It is easier to accommodate a wide spread opf attribute totals when you have a battle involving 40+ PCs.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote