dataweaver

Default Re: Eastern RPG elements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In the case of a magical system, I would treat them as a form of RPM,
Of course you would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I am considering using Sorcery for the psionics (if there's a setup for psionics using Sorcery? there's already three or four different setups for psionics, so I don't know how they compare).

And yes, I have all the Pyramid vol. 3 issues, so if you can find it, I'd appreciate it.
The difference between Psionic Powers (and Chinese Elemental Powers) on the one hand, and Sorcery (and Chi Sorcery) on the other is that the former don't have any “core abilities” that the others serve as Alternate Abilities to. This can easily be changed: on the one hand, you can strip out the core Ability from Chi Sorcery and end up with a selection of Chi-based Powers and Abilities that work the way that Chinese Elemental Powers do. On the other hand, you could add variations of Sorcerous Empowerment to Psionic Powers and Chinese Elemental Powers to make them more Sorcery-like.

For Psionic Powers, this variant might be called “Latent Psionic Potential” and might possibly have limitations such as “only under stress” or “uncontrolled” too represent latent psychics who don't have any control over their Psionic potential. You should also decide whether you want this Latent Potential to apply to all psionic abilities of to be specific to particular psionic powers. If you do the former, price it the same as Sorcerous Empowerment; of the latter, consider pricing each one the same as Chi Investment (from the aforementioned Chi Sorcery article).

Similar thoughts apply to turning Chinese Elemental Powers into a Sorcery system. In fact, you might consider merging it with Chi Sorcery, with Chi Investment pricing being used for a core Ability that only applies to one Element or to one of Internal or External Chi, and with the Sorcerous Empowerment pricing applying to a core Ability that includes all of the Chinese Elemental Powers.

Either way, I'd for the Chi Sorcery Abilities into Chinese Elemental Powers by reassigning them to appropriate elements (which you can determine by looking at which esoteric skills are associated with which elements).

Last edited by dataweaver; 01-01-2021 at 11:54 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote