View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #49
Celjabba

Default Re: Meteoric iron immunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The idea that meteorites were rocks that fell from the sky and were associated with meteors in some way is an early 19th century concept, though the assortment of holy stones (bethels) that supposedly fell from heaven, some (though not all) of which actually are meteorites allows you a little leeway on that if you insist.
While western medieval opinion following Aristote was that rocks don't fell from the sky, some earlier concept (and probably some eastern one too) where in favor (Anaxagore theories, for an exemple).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I am curious how meteoric iron became associated with antimagic. In folklore, it is supposed to be inherently magical, which was why it was capable of overcoming magical defenses, as its divine magic was stronger than the mortal magic of sorcerers and witches. The idea that meteoric iron is antimagic is much more of a modern conceit.
Indeed, Sir Terry Pratchett "thrown in several pieces of meteorites — thunderbolt iron, you see — highly magical, you’ve got to chuck that stuff in whether you believe in it or not" when he forged his knight sword from scratch.

I would guess the "anti-magic" come from Tibetan and Arabic protective amulet and charm ?

Or more likely, from some RPG author who liked the name and did not need any more reason :)
Quite possibly Castle Falkenstein, if I remember correctly. Star Iron break spells because it is devoid of magic and therefore absorb it.

Last edited by Celjabba; 06-17-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote