View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #45
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
As someone who started with D&D, the idea that "hit points directly correlate with actual injury soaked" and "everyone just stands around for 6 seconds, and makes one attack", were never actually RAW or RAI.

You duel for six seconds, and make one *effective* attack. Or you're attacking at range, meaning you aim for 2-5 seconds (depending on whether you take a Move action or whatever), and make one attack.

Anyway, back to GURPS. :)

Also, just to be clear, I'm agreeing with you. :)
I started with D&D too but it was OD&D followed by AD&D1 before going to the AD&D-GURPS magic hybrid that I have updated so D&D3.x and 5e people can use it (D&D 4e is just too much of a PITA to deal with)

That 6 seconds combat round points to D&D 3.x which came out in 2000 (with the 3.5 tweak in 2003)

As I pointed out AD&D1-2 (1977-1999) has insanely long combat turns compared to GURPS. Yes, that 60 was not a typo.

I was fortunate to get the now very rare Dragon magazine CD-ROM back in the day (if your Google-fu is strong copies can be found on the internet) and it covered The Strategic Review (Spring 1975) to Dragon #250 (August 1998) So it knows only the 60 second long combat round with its 6 second segments, not the far saner 6 second combat round that came with 3.x.

You wouldn't believe the number of articles and letters that did have the "hit points directly correlate with actual injury soaked" idea or basically stand around for 60 second to do your x number of attacks (even in that version at high enough levels classes had more then one attack in a combat round though that 3/2 thing was pain).

The really funny thing is many of the ideas provided in those magazines to fix AD&D1-2 showed up in far more useful form in GURPS.

Want to actual implement the ideas in "For King and Country" (Dragon #101)? GURPS Religion has you covered and then some.

Want a better way then what was in Dragon #51 (July 1981) to make the AD&D1-2 Monk stop sucking? GURPS Martial Arts has you covered. Heck, it is still useful with the 5e monk.

GURPS Blood Types curb stomps Varieties of Vampires in Dragon #25 (May, 1979) and so on.

I still have the CD files (Mac's spotlight is so much better then what the CD offered) and it is an interesting step back to versions of AD&D most people today are totally unfamiliar with.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 04-15-2020 at 03:53 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote