View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #118
Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Default Re: Whats a Munchkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Au contraire. There are many kinds of danger. If the players care about game dimensions other than life and limb then there are many means of putting characters in peril and players into suspense.

A character could be at risk of:
  • Financial ruin
  • Loss of station
  • Loss of face
  • Sexual or emotional rejection by loved ones
  • Loss of loved ones, though death or abandonment
  • Sullying of reputation
  • Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera
In the real world, I'd care about all of those things. I'd struggle against the forces that put me at those risks. In a roleplaying game, if I'm truly identifying with the character and playing the role, those risks should be just as palpable as risk of injury or death.

There is no suspense if there is no conflict, but conflict isn't just crossing swords.
But for those other things you really don't need what's on the character sheet, the rest is just an exercise in acting. Character sheets are mostly designed to handle combat, with its hit points, DR, and Dodge, and your character's skill with each weapon type. For other types of roleplaying, its mostly just interpersonal interaction, yeah you may role some dice in that, but true social role playing doesn't require dice rolls just common sense.

But in any game where you really have to use whats on your character sheets, there is danger to life and limb.
Tom Kalbfus is offline   Reply With Quote